I think about this as I look back or the past weeks. The stark contrast of our days. Take these two glimpses as an example...
Wednesday...
Carter has pneumonia, but will not admit anything is wrong. (We can't figure this one out. He will not admit to any sort of pain or ailment, no matter how minor.) His 105 degree temp and chest xray speak otherwise. He's feeling more like himself finally with the medication and didn't wake up crying 18 times like the night before. Sorry I had to count to make sure I was with it and not delirious.
Julia has a double ear infection, but is handling it surprisingly well.
Everyone desperately wants to get out of the house, but it's 20 degrees and it would be wrong of us to take our germs to any indoor establishments, so home we sit...
I attempt to return a phone call after breakfast only to be hotly pursued by both children needing different things. I give up and begin trying to get something in the mail. I fill out the paper, phone rings, Julia wants snack, go upstairs to get stamp, Carter needs help, come back down, forget stamp, Carter wants a drink, phone rings, go get stamp, can't find the letter anymore, wander around the house trying to find it, Julia pees thru her pants, go upstairs to get new clothes, Carter's finally ready for something to eat, phone rings, put Julia down for a nap, read Carter a book, play a board game, feeling hungry- realize I never ate breakfast, get something to eat, help Carter find a toy, come across letter in need of stamp, stop to run to the bathroom (I've had to go for 2 hours- why do moms do this?), take letter to mailbox...the mail's already come. And I wonder why it takes me two weeks to return an email. It's amazing some days that we all leave the house with clothes on!
Later that same day... I decide to make something new for dinner I found on Food Network. We actually have all the ingredients, everyone had naps, and all is quiet. It's one of those moments you look around and feel "wow I've got this together". I start dinner, the phone rings, I now have food on 3 burners and in the oven, Julia's hungry, Carter needs help in the bathroom, wash my hands again, check food, Julia dumps smoothie on the floor and has blueberries 10 feet away on the living room wall and window!, check the food, phone rings, Carter's back in the bathroom- he didn't finish the first time, wash hands again, get Julia down, realize she stinks and has gone thru her clothes, change her from head to toe, wash hands again, finish off most of the meal and start the sauce for the chicken, phone rings, make Carter's food, phone rings again, sauce is now burning AAAHHH! and we started off so well and with such high hopes. Hubby walks in and a I get 10 minutes of solo cooking- such a gift, and we sit down to eat. I have to laugh. It's not tooo bad. Hubby appreciates the effort and we're all together and oh so blessed :)
THEN ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE:
Friday...
The kids both sleep thru the night and I wake them at 9am. They are thrilled to see me and each other. They greet each other with squeals and hugs. Both want to be cuddled. What better way to start the day :) Our friends come over (mine and theirs- very important) and we all play in the playroom together, then have music class full of laughs, singing (who can resist a one yr old singing "Jesus Loves Me"?!), impromptu dancing (these kids can jam), the kids race outside thrilled that its 50 degrees, we make lunch and all 7 kids sit and eat their meals (who are these kids? and what did they do with ours?), they head back outside for 2 hours of play (no arguments or troubles), everyone comes in for a drink and a TV break, they all head to the playroom and build their own fort- completely independently and play happily in it for the next hour. We were like a preschool textbook today- cooperative play, music, imaginative play, guided activities, mixed age groups, nutritious meals, constructive play, and free time. We must be doing something right...right?
So what can we take away from this kind of life? Well...
- Life is unpredicatable, especially if you live with children.
- Everything can change with a moment's notice.
- Go with the flow.
- Allow yourself to be a spectator sometimes and laugh at yourself. It is quite comical :)
- We have very little control over how the day will turn out.
- Surround yourself with friends as often as you can- you'll be a better mom, wife, and person. When your quarrintined with illness, pick up the phone.
- Start your day with prayer before your feet even hit the ground and keep the conversation going all day long. It makes all the difference. When problems arise let your children see you hit your knees before you pick up the phone.
- Remember God is in control, not "mom" (or the kids)- isn't that freeing to hear?
- Thank your husband if you're one of the lucky ones at home with their kids witnessing every milestone and molding their hearts and spirits for God.
- Thank God for the innocence, beauty, and intensity of these days, it is all too fleeting and will be gone before we know it...
No comments:
Post a Comment