Well this year, we upped the ante a few notches.
We had a busy day of errands, chores, and baking. List in hand we headed to WalMart for some groceries and supplies. As we pulled into the parking lot, we were greeted by a 30 foot drill sergeant...
Carter was beside himself! The mothership was calling him home :) Of course this is the one day in the past several weeks when he was not in uniform with all his gear in tow. There were four Marines- one in utilities and three in their dress blues. They had a humvee and a bus they were filling with toys. Carter HAD to stop to talk to the Marines, but he couldn't do that in civilian clothes of course! So super mom that I was at that moment; we did our shopping, went home and ate a quick lunch, so he could change in to his uniform and go back to donate toys...
and wear one of their helmets...
He had a great time showing them his things and talking about the Marine Corps. He's been watching lots of documentaries on the History and Military channel lately and knows his vehicles and gear pretty well. They thought he was adorable and were such gentleman.Later that day he came into the kitchen with a thank you letter he had written them that he wanted to deliver with a bag of cookies. I was so touched by his heart and efforts and didn't want to say no. I finally finished up what we were doing and we headed back in the dark hoping they were still there- no such luck. He was devastated. Mom's patience was fading fast at this point and I was biting my tongue as he lost it. It was almost bedtime and we still hadn't eaten dinner.
Fortunately they were at another location today and he was able to deliver his package this afternoon. It was priceless seeing him shake their hands and salute. They always salute back, too. As he walked away I could see them reading his note and they looked like they enjoyed the cookies, too :)
Ooh rah!
(I can't help but appreciate the irony that growing up a Marine brat we had 30,000+ Marines on base. They're everywhere you look. Now Carter would do anything to see and talk to one and we have to drive all over trying to find one. If Carter has anything to say about it, Grandpa will be spending his retirement in uniform around the house :)
1 comment:
I just popped over here after updating my own blog and our posts are very similar- Toys for Tots! How nice you had Marines in the area; I'm sure it was blissful for Carter!
Post a Comment