Anyone who knows Carter knows he is all about all things Marine Corps. His knowledge on the subject continues to amaze me and he takes it all very seriously. He wears his uniform on a regular basis. He loves to read books about the Marines and he watches documentaries on the Military Channel about boot camp and training. He is learning the history, value, and traditions that make the Marines unique.
A few weeks ago I picked him up at from his class at church. the kids had decorated crowns as part of their craft. Carter's had large letters across the front... "CTM". I was stumped. "Carter, what is CTM?" His matter of fact reply, "Carter The Marine." Of course, I should have known.
Here he is "on duty" on our front porch...
He is in his role pretty much all the time. Most days when we get in the car he has to bring a bag of gear. When I ask why. He reminds me that he never knows when "they" will call or email him with orders and he has to be prepared.
He recently received a book on the Marine Corps- history, training, values. He loves this book. So much so that he asks to sleep with it. So why is it on the floor outside his door?
A place for everything and everything in its place. Since he was very young, whenever he would take something to bed with him, we would later find it outside his door. He cannot stand the thought that an item is not in the room where it belongs, so he leaves it out to be put away. I've always loved that quirk about him.
Now his gear on the other hand, makes it back to the bag (he keeps at the end of his bed), but not always in it...
These are some of his most cherished possessions. As he's gotten older Grandpa has given him his gear to use. Much of this stuff is the real deal.
When we were in PA for Easter, Grandpa and Crater shared many special afternoons out in the empty fields and hills behind my dad's boyhood home. They had their very own field exercises in the same spot my dad played when he was a boy. Carter was in hog heaven. It doesn't get much better than this- gear on, scaling walls, setting up command posts, calling in ground cover....
We spent this past weekend visiting my sister's family near Camp Lejeune. As the east coast hub of the Marine Corps there is much to see. Carter hasn't been since he was two, but has hoped for a visit. As we were driving to their house, we passed a convoy. He was in awe. I thought for a moment he was going to ask me if he could get out and join them.
The very next day, his dream came true. Grandpa called some old friends and set up a visit for us with Maintenance Battalion. Just through these red doors was...
....every little boys dream....
The building houses dozens of tanks, trucks, tools, vehicles, and equipment.
And it was all theirs to touch and explore. The Marines were amazing and hospitable. They went above and beyond to make this happen for him. They gave demonstrations of all the gear and let him try it out.
He was able to dry fire all the weapons. A few seconds after this picture both Carter and the gun went over just from the dry kickback, so funny...
He was able to try out some of the newest technology in night vision...
and they both jumped right in to all the tanks and personnel carriers. They are massive pieces of equipment...
And what happens when one of these breaks down or gets stuck? Call AAA? No, you pull out one of these...
The crane on this vehicle almost reaches the ceiling! Huge.
Carter loved all the hatches and would pop from one to the other.
which turned into a really funny game of hide and seek...
Then we went into the tool room where they keep all their equipment. They have wrenches as tall as Carter! Everything was impeccably neat and organized, and of coursed packed to move at a moments notice. Then we headed up to the COs office. (It used to be Grandpa's, 16 years ago!) Carter tried on the COs helmet and vest...
It was all a dream come true. His face was priceless. I think it will be a while before it all sinks in. It was just too good to be true. When we left to eat lunch at the exchange, he was fascinated by the hundreds of Marines everywhere he looked. What was second nature to me growing up is so novel to him now. He kept saying, "This place is like a Marine city!" He's exactly right, a city of it's own- 48,000 Marines and sailors actually (and all their dependents).
He was in his element. I truly think this kids blood runs red and gold. Ooh-rah Marine!
3 comments:
How great for Carter! I know he was in absolute awe!
How cool! My son would have also been in hog heaven if given the chance to see all of that equipment! He loves the Marines, even though the only connection we have are my cousins who are currently serving.
My grandfather was in the Air Force.
I have considered putting Isaac in the Young Marines when he turns 8, as Lexington has a local chapter. Do you know anything about that program?
I can certainly share in Carter's awe of everything marine. Do you remember at Bethany's wedding how I kept BEGGING your dad to get the marines to salute me? You should have seen me at his office in the Pengaton...I bet I touched EVERYTHING (twice!). It is so fantastic that your dad got the chance to take the kids to Lejune. What a day full of memories! I loved the pictures and it made me wish we were there with you!
On a side note- I hope Relay for Life was great :) can't wait to hear all about it!
Love to Carter and Julia-
XOXOXOXO
Emily (& David)
Post a Comment