Monday, November 1, 2010

Fall PA Getaway

The kids and I decided to take a little getaway.  Our schedules have been really busy lately and it feels we're always going and doing.  We decided to head up to PA to visit family and enjoy some fall fun.  The northeast is an amazing place to be this time of year.  When God created fall this was truly the palette He worked with.  You forgot how awe-inspiring it truly is until you are immersed in it everywhere your eye can see.  It's like the world has been wrapped in elaborate paper with all the trimmings.



The scenery was so beautiful, we just had to move the schoolroom outside.  I love that we can take our show on the road whenever we get the urge :) Ah, learning the way it was meant to be.

Grandpa was always ready for a quick pickup game during their breaks...

We've been taking lots of walks around the neighborhood, too.  The kids love to gather as many different shapes and colors of leaves as they can find. There's just something about walking on a rainbow-colored carpet that inspires a person to do a little dance...

But with the beauty of all those leaves, also comes raking- daily raking, or you might be buried till spring! Carter and Grandpa were quite a team.  And Mimi was on hand to deliver hot apple cider to the two hard workers.


All those piles are just irresistible for jumping...  


Unfortunately my plans for a week of fun outings with the kids was waylaid.  I was sick when we arrived and continued to get sicker.  It's been a long time since I had a fever for an entire week and couldn't even get up during the day.  I learned to appreciate the view from the inside looking out and be thankful in the stillness. Not a bad view...
I finally ended up seeing a doctor by the end of the week. Did you know they have clinics in aisle 2 at the grocery store?!? Crazy! Right between the apple cider and the cereal.  Turns out I have bronchitis and strep.  A few prescriptions later and I was sent home to rest and recover.  Good thing we're here.

The kids stayed busy nonstop with my parents...


and their great-grandparents.  I love that they have this time together to just relax, play, and enjoy each other.

They just opened a brand-new, state-of-the-art, huge playground in my parents neighborhood.  It's an amazing place! Here's a shot of just half of it...


Carter and Grandpa had lots of sports on their docket for the week.  They hit a round at the 3-par course.  Carter has quite a game these days.  He hit all the fairways on his drives and consistently two-putts every hole.  For someone who weighs as much as his clubs, he sure finds the power from somewhere.  They also went to a Friday night football game at Mimi and Grandpa's alma mater.  It's been a few decades since Grandpa's quarterbacking days! Carter was so excited to be watching football and staying up late...

In typical Carter fashion, any night spent watching sports is followed by a day of reenacting and playing that sport...


Julia started cheering from the sidelines...
...but soon was right in the middle of it!
At the top of Carter's to-do list on every trip to PA, is playing Marines with Grandpa.  They get all their gear and uniforms ready and head down to the hills behind my dad's childhood home. 
My dad and his brothers and friends grew up in this boy's paradise and know the torch has been passed on.  It is the old Thomas Iron Co from the 1854.  They produced the steel used to build the Holland and Lincoln tunnels.
They draw up their maps and plan out elaborate logistical setups...

...then they play.  Those of you that know Carter can only imagine how much he loves this.  I don't think it could get any better in his book.

for this little, future Marine...

The week didn't exactly go the way we had planned in advance, but it turned out to be full of fun and special moments with family.  I didn't want to have to spend it on the sidelines, but sometimes we don't have a choice.  I was just happy to be able to take it all in and treasure the moments...

both touching and funny!



No comments: