The weather hit ninety degrees and the sun was bright and warm. We were greeted by the penguins and otters and headed down the hill to find the lorikeet enclosure.
We were told we could feed them, but the keeper did not think they were hungry. Apparently they were because we walked in and instantly there were 3 perched on our arms and one one each of our heads! I wanted so badly to get the camera from around my arm, but had my hands full of birds! I was afraid Julia would be scared by their closeness, but she was fascinated they were drinking out of her little cup. I finally managed to grab the camera from my arm and snap a few shots.
Such beautiful birds...
Then we headed to the playground for some fun and a picnic lunch. We enjoyed seeing so many unique animals up close and personally.
One of the neatest parts of the zoo is the drive out. As you leave you see animals in the fields everywhere you look and as your driving you cross the river. You would think it would be across a bridge, but no- you actually FORD the river in your car!! The bridge is just for looks. I apparently am the only one who didn't know because when I reached the river's edge, I got out of my car to ask the people behind me where I was supposed to go. They had to say it a few times before I was convinced :)
It was a treat to have some time with Julia alone. She has been really coming into her own these past few weeks. We are seeing her personality emerge again. The break from the hospital, the time with her friends, and the healing in her body has started to heal her soul in a profound way. She has become so chatty, outwardly loving, and sings all the time. For us it is like meeting someone new for the first time as we try to discover who this little person is made to be.
As everything around us screams rebirth and renewal, we can't help but notice the miracle unfolding before our eyes in our own family.
1 comment:
Sounds like a wonderful day. And a zoo I would like to visit! :)
We will be headed south again in a month. Do you think we could meet?
Post a Comment