Tuesday, January 18, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I have been reading the most amazing book lately,  
by Ann Voskamp.  
She is a brilliant writer, likely to become one of the greatest of our time. 


As a young child, Ann witnessed her little sister's death when she was hit by a truck and killed in front of their home.  Her parents then struggled emotionally, physically, and spiritually for many years.  Later in life, she watched two children in her extended family die slow painful deaths from a genetic disease.  Needless to stay her faith was floundering and broken.

a brief synopsis of just a few of Ann's beautiful words...

At the request of a friend, Ann was challenged (as an adult) to start a list of one thousand things she was thankful for.  It started simply, but the power of that simple act became life changing to the very core. She talks about the original sin of man- the sin of ingratitude- the belief that God is holding out on us.  It is this original sin that breeds discontentment, self-condemnation, criticism, and insatiable needs and wants (the essence of the fall).  But there is a remedy to this disease... gratitude.

In the Greek, the word is eucharisteo. It is the action of giving thanks for gifts bestowed.  Christ gives us the perfect example..."And He took the bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them" .  This was His grace-filled way of living.  Giving thanks in all things, even when the bread gift was death.  Paul fills out this thanks picture in Philippians... "I have learned to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything.  I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. (Phil 4:11-12)" Paul tells us he has learned something.  It is an action he had to practice and be taught.  We can learn gratitude in the midst of death, suffering, debt, and brokenness.

"Gratitude bestows reverence,
allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies,
those transcendent moments of awe
that change forever 
how we experience life and the world."
-Sarah Ban Breathnach


I cannot recommend this book highly enough.  Every sentence touches, connects, and challenges your soul. I have experienced, tested, and walked the road of this very revelation myself the past few years. I can testify, with every ounce of my being, that she is speaking the Truth.   

It is a book you could easily devour, but the richness of the words leaves you wanting to savor every page. Ann has a way of writing profoundly while in the very same breath speaking the unspoken thoughts and feelings that we all have inside.   This is not just a book, it is an experience... one that everyone needs. I urge you to order a copy.  It is on sale right now on many sites, like Amazon.  And if you are interested, the (in)courage site has chosen this book for their first online book club selection.



1 comment:

Kelly T said...

Sounds like a wonderful book, I think I will pick one up for myself and my sister in law, who has a child with a genetic disorder.