Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Miracle of Life

(LOOK how little they were the last time we did this.  CRAZY!!) 

We were eagerly anticipating the emergence of our three butterflies.  As the day got closer the kids were constantly checking to see if it was time yet.  Butterflies make their chrysalis when they are 19 days old and emerge as butterflies when they are 31 days old.  It always happens around 10:30am.  If the weather is particularly warm, they may emerge sooner.  Needless to say it has been a little warm around these parts lately.  As I checked on them one night before bed to mist them, I was surprised to find a new visitor...

The other chrysalises were transparent, so we knew the others would be out in the morning.  Now what to do with this one.  I didn't want to release it at night in the dark.  They are able to fly because the sun warms their wings and raises their body temperature.  We decided to feed it some sugar water and fashion a butterfly house.  An upside down end table, some netting, and a packing tape did the trick.

The kids were thrilled in the morning to see what had happened.

They even dressed up for the occasion :)

We had a wonderful time watching them be "reborn" as they emerge with wet wings...

that slowly dry...
and expand...

We enjoyed holding them and watching them exercise their new wings...

Then it was time to let them fly free (all girls)...
we spent the next few hours reading all our butterfly books and talking about the wonder of what we had just seen. I'm still amazed by the miracle of this transformation.  Each and every time I see it- from the tiny eggs to the wild, wiggly caterpillars to the beautiful art of the chrysalis perfectly formed and bejeweled with diamonds to the miraculous day when it turns clear as a window to reveal the hidden treasure to all the world and bursts forth with new life.  (Did you know the caterpillars body turns completely to liquid inside the chrysalis before it becomes a completely new creature?! And scientists have shown that the butterfly has memories of its life as a caterpillar?) Our God is infinitely amazing.  It's such a beautiful picture of our own salvation and one day our journey to heaven.

1 comment:

sdigerolamo said...

Dear Amber,
WOW... I have to talk to you about this... our friend, Claire in NJ just ordered us 3 blue butterflies in cocoons that should be here in a few days and should hatch in 3 weeks. I will need all of your expertise and book recommendations... and maybe have to borrow your netting. :)