Thursday, December 8, 2011

Festival of Trees

I had the privilege recently, of attending the annual Festival of Trees- an annual event to benefit Brenners' Children's Hospital. This year's theme was birthdays to celebrate Brenner Children's Hospital's 25th birthday. The hospital was established in 1986 by Abraham Brenner. He and his brothers went into the iron and steel business in 1935 and started a foundation for charity work in 1961, eventually leading to funding the hospital. Abe Brenner died this week at the age of 93 of old age. His son Frank says, "He was an exceptional role model who looked after everyone else before he looked after himself."  A true example of a life well lived. Thank you, Abe! Godspeed and rest in peace. Happy Birthday Brenner's! 
Stacy (from ChildLife) was hosting a table to educate people about the Beads of Courage program and raise funds to help the hospital expand the program beyond the oncology department.  She invited me to share about Julia's personal experience with her Beads. It is their hope to be able to one day use this program in other departments to include children with serious illnesses such as cardiac issues and cystic fibrosis.
She set up a table to display many of the beads, journals, bags, and also pictures from Julia's journey...
I was so blessed to be able to share our experience. Julia's beads have been life changing for her this past year, as she faced some of the toughest months of her life with her recent surgeries, complications, and adjustment to daily procedures. Her beads gave her a voice to put words with the feelings and memories she was trying to work through. They gave us a tangible means of acknowledging the struggles she was facing and the bravery she showed.  And they became a motivator for her to face her fears head on. I could never say enough good things about this program. So any chance I have to say it out loud, I just can't wait.

These two lovely ladies were some of the first we spoke with. They were very interested and wanted to know more. As I told them about Julia they both began to cry. It still stops my heart for a moment when that happens. Seeing people care about your child like that is so meaningful. Not only were they moved, they were excited to help the program, to share it with others, and to encourage us. Thank you both! And I really appreciate the hugs, too.
The themed trees being auctioned were so beautiful and creative...
and I loved the gingerbread houses! Wow!
So many awesome displays and I love how they kept the true meaning of Christmas at the center...
and some fun, too!
We have some new ideas for our houses this year...

No comments: