We've been studying Japan for a few weeks in our homeschooling. The kids have been really excited about this one because I actually lived there when I was their age. Our country studies are based on our monthly shipments from Little Passports. We LOVE this company. The kids start with a suitcase, map, and passport. Then every month they receive a package in the mail with country info, postcards, souvenirs, local items, puzzles, and a code to access online activities. Before we start each unit, we complete a KWL chart together (Know, Want to know, Learn). This helps us with our journaling along the way. Then we dive in with a dozen or so library books about the country, culture, people, etc. Along the way we sometimes try new foods, crafts, or watch you tube videos of native festivals and music.
After a recent Japan lesson, Carter asked if he could teach Julia something himself. I told him, "sure". He decided to cover the major Pacific theater campaigns of World War II. He even made his own aircraft carrier out of the base ten blocks. I think he might be taking over as the history professor in a few years :)
No comments:
Post a Comment