Friday, August 29, 2008

It must be a sign...

As many of you know I'm back in school this semester at good old GTCC. I can't complain- it's close, affordable, and counts for credit. In order to renew my VA teaching license I have to take two 3-hr courses every 5 years. I cannot believe 5 years has come and gone already. I was pregnant with Carter last time-I know he's turning 5 soon- my husband reminded me last night that that is in 4 months!! Are you crazy- can't be true! Though the nice part about homeschooling is you get to avoid the dreaded first day drop off at kindergarten. It makes the process seem much more gradual and I don't feel like my days with him are numbered :)

Anyway, my experiences at GTCC are always interesting. They are a great little school and growing every year. It has filled many niches in the community with job training, transfer credits, career switches, early college, and continuing ed. But it is still community college and the majority of students are half my age and not always very motivated. I must say I enjoy the relaxed learning environment without the intensity and competition I felt in HS and at W&M. I don't need added stress in my life- especially the kind you have to pay for. This year I am taking Developmental Psych and The New Testament. I have to say these are two courses I am interested in regardless of the "requirement". I am limited in what I can take because it can't be any courses I've had, my major, minor, concentration, or education. I'm left with astronomy, religion, and psychology. Fortunately that worked out again this time.

I always dread the initial registration. It requires getting up early and spending 4 hours in line to be "walked through" the process by an academic counselor. They don't let you register online unless you're regularly enrolled. Then they have to override the system because I don't need the prereqs the high school grads need. This year I got to do it twice because I had to come back for day 2 when a space opened in the online course I wanted. Then I get to do the whole student thing waiting in line to pay at financial aid, getting a picture id, paying for a parking pass, and the beloved bookstore. Now don't get me wrong, I love books and am a sucker for new school supplies, even at my age. But dropping $600 in one day for 2 classes and books hurts a little. I got my books and headed to the register. My Mastercard would not go through. The cashier kept saying, it's not being declined- just referred- you'll have to call when you get home, sorry. I started to worry about identity theft, unauthorized purchases, etc. Don't worry it was none of the above. We called when I got home.......................

........................."uncharacteristic transaction. According to your profile and spending habits, you're too old to be buying books in a community college bookstore." My sentiments exactly! Now tell that to the state of VA and they should let teachers keep their licenses or at least not make us pay out of pocket for the "privilege of being allowed to teach". (Tell that to anyone in the business world and they laugh at you. "You mean teachers don't have expense reports?" Sorry, I'll stop now.) It's a sign.

I digress. So, we are back in school mode for ALL of us. I was fortunate to get my religion class online which works well with my late night habits and kids' schedules. The other is on Tuesday nights. My husband and friends have filled in fabulously to make this possible (and I won't have to miss any of the kids sports or activities). It hasn't been too bad. So far we've watched 2 videos and gotten out early both times- I think I can handle that :) And I will suffer through all the professor's "lectures" about having goals in life, time management, not growing up to work at McDonalds, and waiting until you're married to have kids. I must say though, I'm not the oldest student in the class this time which is nice. Well, I have to go study for a quiz.......

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Oooh, I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard through this post! I took two courses at TNCC (Forensics I and II) about 5 years ago, and had the same experience you did. Hopefully you won't have any group projects- those are oh-so-fun with unmotivated 18 year olds!