Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Updates From Our 'Layover' at Home...

We enjoyed the rest of our stay in DC. Julia liked having Mimi and Grandpa to herself. When we told her Grandpa was on his way back to the house, she said, "Oh good! He's my favorite!"

They had a picnic lunch in the living room before we left for home...
She traveled well. We braved the traffic again. It's so frustrating when it takes almost 2 hours to go the first 20 miles. But it was smooth sailing after that. Julia even took a nap in the car (very rare for our two). When I told her Daddy was excited to see her, she said, "I'm excited to see him, too. He thinks I'm his sweet punkin." She says the sweetest and most encouraging words. It is definitely one of her gifts. I love that she has such an optimistic and uplifting spirit. It is one of the keys to life and I pray it continues to grow strong.

I enjoyed the quiet time to listen to my own music instead of the DVD player :) I am still really enjoying David Crowder Band. The song, The Glory of It All really speaks to my soul these days. It has become the anthem of our cancer journey. It is the song we listened to in the surgical waiting room back in March as this all began. It is the essence of the faith we cling to and that carries us.

Oh, the glory of it all

Is He came here
For the rescue of us all
That we may live
For the glory of it all
Oh, the glory of it all

All is lost
Find Him there
Find Him there
After night
Dawn is there
Dawn is there
And after all
Falls apart
He repairs
He repairs

Oh, He is here
With redemption from the fall
That we may live
For the glory of it all
Oh, the glory of it all

After night
Comes a light
Dawn is here
Dawn is here
It’s a new day, a new day
Oh, everything will change
Things will never be the same
We will never be the same


Tears stream down my face reading them even now. I am so thankful to say that even in those darkest hours we felt God's peace and could say with conviction that everything that happens is for God's glory. I know that with every fiber of my being. I believed it before and I still believe it today. Without that truth there is no hope or peace in this world.

Being in that waiting room that day with Julia in surgery, so many questions, so many risks, and the reality of cancer upon us; it was the closest I have felt to the disciple Peter when Jesus asked him to get out of the boat and walk on the water. We were taking that leap of faith and stepping out even when we couldn't see solid ground. As scary as it seemed at the time, I would rather be on the water with my Savior than on solid ground without Him.

The words of this song have become even more meaningful as time goes on. God continues to prove Himself faithful and trustworthy. Our faith continues to deepen. Our testimony grows stronger. Our witness shines through. His grace covers ALL and sustains us each during the hardest of times. And we know now we will never be the same, but we will ALWAYS be His.

********************

Julia and Carter were happy to be back together again. They look like old friends sitting on the front porch together...

Ally, Emmy, and Tammy are here for a few days to play with the kids while I pack for our crazy road trip. They are having a ball playing school, dollhouse, dance party, baby dolls, and enjoying the new slip 'n slide....
....even Daddy!!!
We have had a busy few days as we get ready for our road trip: pit stop in DC and the Evening Parade, trip to Penn State where the kids are in Erin and Mike's wedding on Saturday, then back to DC for Grandpa's retirement (and a whole lot of Daddy flying back and forth to work in between). Packing for so many events and locations is proving to be quite a feat, plus the errands and household chores. It will be a relief to finally be on the road Thursday.

I am happy to say that my visit to the endocrinologist and labs on Monday got me an increase in my thyroid meds- yipee!! Julia went for her weekly CBC this morning and her hemoglobin and red blood count are back within the normal range- the blood transfusion was a success! Her white blood count is holding steady at it's low. Her lymphocytes (type of white blood cell) were high this week. We are awaiting a call from oncology to see if we need to do anything. Please pray for her to remain infection free. The H1N1 flu virus has descended heavily on our city this past week. We are living in virtual quarrantine and taking drastic contact precautions. We are actually thankful to be getting away for a few weeks.

No comments: