As September goes on, baby steps are being made to raise awareness for childhood cancer. There have been several new companies who have joined the fundraising efforts. St. Baldrick's continues to grow and surpass their past numbers. I smile every time I see a Hyundai with a Hope on Wheels sticker in its window. Kids' stories are continuing to be shared. Parents are brainstorming and uniting. Some celebrities are jumping on board to play a role.
It still surprises me how little people know about childhood cancer. It seems almost everyone a you encounter knows of several children who have battled cancer, yet no one stops to think much more about it. Even in the medical field. It surprises me when doctors and nurses comment on my t-shirts or bracelets and are shocked by the answers I give to their questions. But this is how change happens, one small step at a time.
There has been a small breakthrough this month that may lead to something even bigger on the horizon. This month's meeting of the Pediatric Cancer Caucus on Capitol Hill made some big strides and shared some brutal honesty.
No comments:
Post a Comment