I don't know when or how it happened that my sweet little boy is now a five year old. I just checked on him in bed and he looks so sweet and innocent, but so big too! (I love the way he tucks in his tools, too.) I remember exactly where I was five years ago at this time.... 11pm...... sitting on the hospital bed staring at this perfect little baby dressed in his blue gown laying peacefully in front of us. All Billy and I could do was stare at him- he's ours and he's here, healthy and safe- unbelievable! I spent those first hours, days, and weeks holding him on my chest as much as possible- savoring every minute of his newness. I know firsthand how fast the time goes and that you will never again have the time like you do with your firstborn. My life was put on pause and I just enjoyed being Carter's mom. We would lay in bed everyday until noon. He slept the heaviest from 5am to noon so I did, too. I watched him sleep and memorized his sweet face. I took hundreds of pictures. Some days I watched him grow and change right before my eyes wanting to stop time, even just for a moment. But alas, we can't. It has been a true joy watching the little boy he has become. He has a heart of gold, a curious mind, a memory for everything, a close attention to detail, a passion for sports of all kinds, a budding faith, and a laugh that melts my heart. I love you little man and I'm grateful God chose me to be your mother.
It really was a great day. Carter was born on his Mimi's birthday, so they love when they can celebrate together. We had fun playing today, painting cookies, playing games, playing racquetball, and a yummy dinner at Luna's- divine!!
Here are some of the soundbites from the day that warmed my heart and made me smile. (and some pictures, too.)Julia: "Today is my Carter's birthday!"
Carter: "Don't you want to sit and cuddle your sweet boy?" (and kiss the top of his head)Carter: "Today Mimi and I get to pick all our favorite things to do."
Mimi: "If you're five, can I be six?" Carter: "No, you have to be more than six Mimi."
Carter: "I love you Mimi."
Carter: "I'm Mommy's sweet boy."
Carter: "I can do it. I'm five now."
Carter: "Mom, I just don't feel five. How do I know I'm really five?"The weekend was topped off with a thrilling Eagles win!!!!
1 comment:
Reading this reminds me of how close I am to this big day. It seems like 5 is so old! They are growing up so fast. Before long, they will be getting married. Do you think they will still be tucking in their toys right in between them and their spouse? :)
Post a Comment