Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mommy Mules

Motherhood can be a lonely place sometimes, especially with young children, and especially as a stay-at-home mom. I feel like I have a good perspective ninety percent of the time and I'm blessed to have an amazing support network of sisters-in-Christ walking this same road.

But there are still those moments......

Wednesday mornings is Bible study and everyone in our house knows the drill. They are old enough that it should be pretty simple- dressed, fed, hair and teeth brushed, shoes and coat, and out the door. That's when it all goes wrong. Does anyone else have a time warp between their kitchen and driveway?! We were completely ready at 8:50, how did we not pull out of the driveway until 9:17?! It's insane!! When they were babies it was dirty diapers on the way out the door, extra long feeding sessions, change of clothes. Now it's phone calls, potty trips, lost items, extra helpings at breakfast (only on days we have to go of course), left behind bags, car seat adjustments, and random discussions/debates (Do we really have to do this right now?!). It boggles my mind sometimes just where that time goes. Thankfully my Bible study girls are there to say, we're glad you're here and we get it, now let's get down to business- thank you ladies.

We had a great morning and lunch afterwards at 'Chicken-Lay'. Let me just say we are a sight to behold- 5 moms and 10 kids huddled around two tables. We apologize to everyone around us, though today was mostly peaceful and the seniors around us seemed to appreciate our 'youthful energy' :)

As 1:00pm came and went we started spiraling out of control- pretty predictable. Like a well-oiled machine we all launched into our assorted trips to the potty, diaper changes, table and floor cleanups, last bites, sock and shoe hunts and we were ready to go. As I gazed through the glass into the play area, Julia had that look- when you know they're 'going'. We're still dabbling in potty-training and don't do it much away from home, especially wearing lots of layers. Today I took Carter to the bathroom carrying Mia (Shana's baby) and Julia wanted to come, too. While we're in there she announces she has to go to. You know how it goes- you can't say no. Now what do you do with the baby? Thanks to the nice mom in the bathroom who offered to hold her :) Julia did go-yay! and the diaper was now dirty, so I trashed it and just left her bare in jeans..... you see where I'm going with this. So now she's in the play area, going again.... in the jeans, yuck. So needless to say we had a mess to clean up when we got to the car.

So now we pull into the driveway, back home. Do all you mom's have this moment, too? You take a breath look around and don't even want to get out. Did we just cross the country? Every person at church needs their own bag, plus my bag with books, my purse, our snacks/drinks, the mail, our winter coats, my morning coffee mug, a mound of dirty smelly clothes, library books, the shoes Julia took off in the car, and the two bags from the store. I feel like a pack mule. I don't know what I would do if I could just turn off the car, grab my bag, and walk inside. And I had one of those mommy moments when I wondered if anyone else felt this way.

Well it turns out just a short distance away someone else was having the same thought and wrote this poem.......

One day my socks will match,
I won't be dragging through the door;
Carrying 15,000 things,
With someone handing me more.
Coats, bags, sippy cups, snacks and lunch;
Did I remember to bring their shoes?
I know they say these days go fast,
Don't want to wish away the coos,
...I just wonder how many brain cells I will lose.

by Lara

They say your true friends are those who know the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you forget the words and I embrace that sentiment wholeheartedly......

But sometimes your friends are the ones who hear the pandemonium in your heart and can sing along with every word :) (Thanks girl, I needed that!)

1 comment:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh yes...I have been there, and still am...many years later. I can't do Wed. bible study any more because of home schooling, but the drill getting out of the door is still the same - just different things. Today, it was "I told you two hours ago to get your bball uniform ready for the game....no you can't jump in the shower, we are leaving now...I didn't put your MPS 3 player anywhere. :) hee hee
And my baby got his driver's permit today....ahhh.....days are long, but the years are short.