OUR TOP TEN KIDS BIBLES/DEVOTIONALS/BIBLE STORIES
This is by no means an exhaustive list, just some items that have worked for us with 2-5 year olds. We are just on the cusp of really going deeper with Carter and I've been thinking back to what we've liked along the way. There are thousands of choices out there and it really takes time and effort to sort through it, so I hope this helps with some ideas...
1. The Beginner's Bible
This is a staple in most homes and was the first Bible for both of our kids. We started them at 2yrs and would read 2 stories before nap and 2 before bed. We read through the Bible 10-15 times by the time we're finished, which really gives them a good overview and familiarity with people and plots.It amazes me how such a simply written text can be so powerful. This is the Bible we were reading with Julia during her surgery and treatments over the summer. It was Divine power the way God would speak the exact words we needed to hear at that exact moment through a toddler's simple Bible.
2. Scholastic Read & Learn Bible
This was their second Bible around 3-4 yrs when they started wanting more information. I like the writing style of the Scholastic Bibles.3. The Lion Read & Know Bible by Sophie Piper
I had a lot of difficulty finding a next step Bible for Carter once he turned five. There's a pretty even split at this level- they are either 'learn to read' editions or actual Bibles. I wanted one more step before we move up to a traditional Bible. This one has been wonderful. It fills out the stories with even more detail and character depth. It also includes teaching sections on Bible anthropology, geography, and history. I love the writing and teaching style of this one.4. God's Mighty Warrior Dev Bible by Sheila Walsh
We use this devotional as a part of our school time. It includes Bible stories, devotions, and activities to do together.5. God's Little Princess Dev Bible by Sheila Walsh
They make one for girls, too.6. Jesus Wants All of Me by Oswald Chambers
I picked this up at a Christian bookstore on sale for $4 at the recommendation of a friend. It is a devotional with a short paragraph, picture, and a Bible verse for each day. It is written for Children but I have found it very challenging and convicting for myself. I recently discovered there are actually a series of these books. When we get a solid grasp of this one we'll have to move on- that might be awhile :) This stuff is deep! We read each entry in the morning at breakfast.7. Step Into the Bible by Ruth Bell Graham
This is a family devotional book we are actually just starting, but I'm excited to use it.8. Big Thoughts for Little Thinkers by Joey Allen (The Scripture, The Mission, The Trinity, The Gospel)
This is a 4 book series of little books on really big topics. They do a great job of explaining the fundamentals of Christan theology in words and pictures, for preschoolers and elementary children. These are words our kids here so often, but how often are they actually explained?9. Stories From the Bible by Kathryn Smith (Joseph's Coat of Many Colors, David & Goliath, Jonah & the Whale)
These books I actually found at the grocery store for $2.99. They are storybooks from Parragon Press that retell some of the most well-known Bible stories. Being a teacher, writer, parent, and book lover I am constantly noticing the writing style of books. So many children's books miss the mark when writing so that children understand. I am often changing the words as I read to them. This is one series that gets it right. I like the playful illustrations and imaginative use of words and feelings.10. Designed by God So I Must Be Special by Bonnie Sose
This is a great book for every age. A reminder to all of us about how much God loves each one of us and how he designed us to be exactly who we are.And one extra, the Anytime Bible by Mary Manz Simon. I've heard good things about this one for use with primary age students. It has great discussion starters.

What are your family favorites?
1 comment:
We have God's little princess devotional bible and we like it. I will have to look into the Lion Read and know bible because I have been wanting to buy something deeper for Ginny. Thank you for the info.
Post a Comment