Tuesday, August 11, 2009

We're Still Here

You probably think we've disappeared. Well, in a way that's true. We're at the beach for a week of wonderful vacation with the family. Everything is slower here, including the internet- so posting takes awhile...

We arrived on Saturday and everything has been going great. We all have jumped right in to relaxation mode...
It turned out to be the hottest week of the summer, making the beach the perfect destination. The cool ocean breeze makes it feel perfect all the time and we've never even broken a sweat. Our condolences to all of you inland folk right now- hope relief comes soon. I can honestly say we are thinking about you and wishing you were all here.

(** A little side note: With the slow economy, house rentals are way down. If you want to take a vacation wait till less than 2 weeks before, call and see what's available and make an offer- chances are they'll take it. If you still want to go this year the ocean is warm as ever and stays that way thru September.)

We have all been looking forward to vacation all summer. We didn't know if it would be possible when Julia was diagnosed, but fortunately her chemo has worked well around it and we decided she could feel bad at home or at the beach. I'd take the beach any day. She's been doing great ever since we arrived. She gets tired easily and is still taking 4 hour naps, but in between all the sleeping and eating, she's squeezed in some fun. We are blessed to have a pool right on our porch and oceanfront beach access which makes it so much easier. And there's no one else around us so we can drop our guard with keeping her quarantined. A much welcome break- to be out of the house and have so much to do and see. We are so thankful!

She's having lots of fun with Mimi and Grandpa, her great grandparents, Aunt Beth, Uncle Jason, and cousin Anderson. We've had lots of yummy food and family game time. She still struggles with fatigue and jaw pain, but overall vacation has been very therapeutic for her.
The weather has been beautiful and we have been making the most of the pool and beach. Monday was by far one of the best days I've ever had. I come from a long line of beach bums and water lovers who have been coming to the beach for over 60 years. From the age of 6 we are all taught to body surf and feel right at home in the sand and surf. Carter and Julia love the sand, but Carter has been avoiding the ocean for the past 2 years. This year they both jumped right in!! I couldn't believe it. Carter grabbed his boogie board and wanted us to teach him how. Grandpa and Daddy gave him some lessons and he was catching waves in no time.
I had the best morning in the ocean with him. I still can't believe the kid who wouldn't even rinse off his feet last year is riding waves- pinch me now!!
The beach has been healing for my soul. It has given me space to finally breathe. It has always been one of my favorite places, but that has taken on a whole new level now. There is just something about the waves, the saltwater, the sand, the salty air, and the sun that restores me. I honestly feel like my body needs a certain amount of saltwater to function properly.
And life is always better with little sand between your toes (and everywhere else too!).
Monday I had one of those days you can't forget. The kind you think of when someone asks you to describe your favorite place. I spent the morning building sandcastles with Julia, boogie boarding with Carter, shell collecting with the kids, swimming in the pool, then a cat nap with Julia, some cold fruity drinks in the pool, followed by happy hour on the deck, a walk on the beach (by myself!!), steak and sweet potatoes for dinner, and family game time at night. It doesn't get much better.
As I walked along the beach I felt completely relaxed for the first time in a long time. I have always felt that God is just a little closer at the beach.
His glory is everywhere- the power of the ocean, the beauty of the view, the sunrises and sunsets, the salty air, refreshing breeze, the soft sand, and the magnificent shells. Every time I pick up a shell I can't help but be fascinated by it's intricate perfection. They are like God's little treasures spread along the beach every day. Just like His mercies- new every morning and infinite in supply- available to anyone.

One of the most therapeutic parts of the beach for me is the sounds. The roar of the surf, like a heartbeat. And the constant wind surrounds you like a blanket and drowns out the noise of life. All that's left to hear is the voices of those close to you, the sound of the ocean, the chirping birds, and the kids' laughter drifting by. It forces you to stop and just be still. It is my prayer that I can hold onto this feeling daily. The waves remind me of God's presence and the wind, His Spirit within me. I want to tune my ears to God, be filled with His Spirit, and drown out the noise around me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber - So nice to see your family having a wonderful time at the beach. Your post really touched me. We just back from the beach ourselves and we love the beach as well. It is just a testament to just how Awesome our God truly is!!
Please know that we continue to pray for Julia and we check your blog daily.
Love and Hope,
Mary Justice

Anonymous said...

wow! I am so glad you are having a much needed family time at the beach! I am so glad Julia can enjoy this wonderful time together and feels ok to enjoy it:) Hope the weeks stays wonderful for you! Still praying with you everyday!
Julie Jersey
Summerfield

Jeni said...

Loved this post...so glad you all could refresh in such a wonderful environment. Our annual beach week is in Sept. this week, but we are still looking forward to it (and hoping no hurricanes). Last year I saw a banner at the beach: "The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.