Sunday, August 14, 2011

Prayer Warriors in Training

When we pick up Julia from her class on Sundays at church, she always has something she's excited to share with us. For several weeks now it has been that she was able to lay on her belly again and it didn't hurt her c-tube. I never really thought to ask why, I was just happy her belly was healing.  One Sunday I just had to know why she was always laying on her belly.

"For when we're praying, Mom."

Immediately I knew.

This class of kids has been praying prostrate on the floor together for over three years now.

It all began in the Toddler Room when they were all barely 2 years old.  When their teachers would ask them to fold their hands and pray over their ritz crackers and sippy cups, dozens of little chairs would fly backwards and sweet little ones who had just learned to walk and talk were on their faces praying before God.

I am happy to say they never stopped.  They have surprised many a teacher since, but they have never been told they couldn't and so these humble little hearts continue to pray on the floor. Last week was their last Sunday in the four year old class.  Next week half of them will move on to the kindergarten wing, while the other half wait a year before they start.  It was bittersweet to see their five years of Sundays come to an end.  But I pray their bold style of praying never stops.  I would love to see them still praying together on the floor this way ten years from now. I pray the bonds they have made will last and they will continue to encourage each other. 

2 comments:

Lara said...

I. LOVE. this!

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet - the kids in Daystars preschool do the same thing. I love to see it every week. Don't know how it started, but I hope they never stop! : )
Kathy White