Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Drive Time, Bible Time

Here's a conversation/argument that happens daily in our car....

Julia: I want the Bible please.
Carter: No! I want to read it!!
Julia: My turn!
Me: Let's take turns. We can share the Bible. We have lots of other books.
Carter: I don't want books, just the Bible!
Me: Here Julia you can read it first.
(after 3 min)
Me: Time's up now. Let's share Julia.
Julia: NOO! MY BIBLE BOOK!
Me: Carter, thank you for sharing so well with your sister.
(give to Carter)
Carter: It's not my book anyway, it's God's.
Julia: No God's!! Not in just a minute!! I'm whining in my crocs!! I'm not big, I'm still little!!
(after 3 min of silent reading and whining)
Me: Okay Carter, now it's Julia's turn.
Carter: I'm only at Daniel and I'm reading to the end.
Julia: My turn again!!!!!!
Carter: Here you go.
Julia: Thanks! :)
Carter: You're welcome! :)
Julia: It's God's! :)

It makes me want to scream and rejoice all in one breath. I'm so excited they love their Bibles and see them as a valued possession (but the arguing and picking is starting to wear me down).
It's encouraging to see they are truly listening and starting to really get it!

The intensity of these moments is a mom's biggest challenge. I pray that God gives me the peace to ride the waves of it all and really speak to their hearts and also the wisdom to know when to step into their conflicts and when I can just let them work it out and grow. It seems to turn out better without my meddling- I have to say that's a good thing. I love these two!

1 comment:

Shana said...

I spit out my coffee when I read, "No God's....not in just a minute....etc." JuJu keeps me laughing constantly. SO PRECIOUS. Thanks for your wonderful posts!