Well, back to the real world. I am officially "recovered"- from a mom stand point- back on the job. I enjoyed my time recuperating. I was able to complete the semester in one of my classes- yippee!- and I'm a 10-page term paper away from finishing the other class. Sadly I discovered "recovery productivity" is in very short bursts. Vicodin is very nap-inducing. So, I enjoyed my time to the fullest napping, reading, watching TV, cuddling with the kids, and savoring the room service. The kids were so sweet. They both loved to come play cards and snuggle under the covers every chance they got, Julia especially. As much as she loves sleeping, she has taken lounging to a new art form. She kept saying, "Mommy, I just love this." and "You my sweet girl, Mommy" That's what I tell her! She still asks now, "Mommy can we go lay in your bed again?"

After a week I was moving around and feeling good. And the first thing I did was clean out my long-neglected hall closet and the kids' bathroom- that's what watching a two-day '
Clean House' marathon does to a person :) !! Billy and Carter spent Thanksgiving at his family's house having big fun with all the cousins. Mimi, Julia, and I enjoyed the girl time- a very rare treat. We were treated to a fabulous Thanksgiving dinner at the Moodies. Thank you Annmarie and Eloise- it was delicious! I had 2 full plates of food- my first full meal in a week. What a way to come back :)







I'm feeling good. I'm able to turn my head just like before. The swallowing discomfort is gone, but I haven't gotten my voice back completely. I sound close to normal, but I have a very limited range. I've lost the ability to inflect, use a higher voice, sing, or raise my voice at all. My kids are probably thrilled about the last one. It is physically impossible for me to do. This is all well and good, but there are times with young kids when you have to for safety reasons or times you can't be heard over the noise, so I'm learning to adapt. If I even try, I have trouble breathing. It also pains me to not be able to sing. Not that I'm a great singer by any stretch, but just singing with my kids, putting them to bed, singing in the car, and at church would be nice. It is like punishment to not be able to sing during the Christmas season!! So I pray it comes back soon. At my post-op today, the doctor was a little stumped because my vocal cords look fine.......but, it just so happens that his CE class at Johns Hopkins this month is 'voice issues after thyroidectomy', so we'll see what the experts say. (I go back in Jan.)

Not only was my mom great at taking care of the me, the kids, and the house- she's also a fabulous seamstress and whipped up a beach-themed guest room while she was here, complete with comforter, dust ruffle, pillows, shams, and tablecovers. You and that sewing machine are amazing and we will always appreciate the fruits! thanks for all the midnight oil you burned this past week :) Look at the perfection that is my guest room now (just have to hang the pictures). Feel free to come be a guest! Even if your local, you're can always come for a sleepover :)

Overall, I'm feeling really good. I have a deep feeling of calm and peace that I haven't felt in years. My body actually feels still- when I'm not running around :) I had forgotten what this feeling was like. They basically describe Grave's disease as a motor that idles in high gear so all your body's systems are spinning all the time, without rest. I feel like the idling motor has finally been turned off. It is a glorious feeling! I am able to think and plan better. I am much more patient with everyone and everything. I am getting much more done- efficiently and not going crazy in the process. I am very thankful for all the doctor's that figured this out and knew how best to treat it, to all of you for your love, prayers, and help, and to God- the Great Physician.
We had a very restful Thanksgiving and I am so grateful for many things- my kids, my husband, my family, my friends, my church, my faith, my country, my freedom, my home, my job staying home, my husband's job so that I'm able, my health, and thousands of little things every day. I love this season. We spend the month of November focusing on blessings and service and then December rolls in with hope, joy, peace, and love. I am so looking forward to the next 24 days with my family- the preparation, the joy, the anticipation, the sparkle of it all- through the eyes of my kids :) ....
Okay, now comes the randomness... Whenever I need to laugh I read this post about shopping carts (at everyone's "favorite" mass retailer). There's nothing worse than going somewhere your loathe and having the entire visit made comically difficult by a stupid cart! (Though they just opened a brand new one here and I actually smile when I go there AND the carts work....for now.......) Maybe I'm the only one who finds it funny, but I laugh so hard I cry every time I read
this,......... just did it again :)
Don't you just love those news feeds link that you can't resist clicking on. This was one of those for me (okay, I'm also procrastinating finishing a term paper, but fascinating nonetheless...). Just in case you ever need to
Cook-Food-in-a-Hotel-Room using only a coffee maker and iron! Seriously, it can be done!!
No comments:
Post a Comment