Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter

Apparently Pennsylvania takes this whole 'first day of winter thing' VERY seriously. We left NC with 72* temps. It was actually 65* when we left at 8am. By the time we crossed the line into PA, there was snow on the ground. We knew we were here and everyone was excited. It doesn't take long to notice your in PA. What they say about PA drivers is all true. The common courtesies and graces you witness on most roads in the south disappears there. It's every man for himself and all bets are off. If someone wants to be in your lane, they will be there, so watch out. And then there's the crazy roads. In PA if you want to go to a store on the left side of the road, you turn right- on a jughandle- hard to get used to. And then there's what Billy affectionately calls, "merge or die lanes". The interstates in the Lehigh Valley are way too small for the population, but have no where to expand. The entrance ramps are two car lengths long and then a cement wall, so it is merge or be smushed and don't plan on anyone getting over to let you in- it won't happen.
Our first day was the first day of winter and the high was 9*, seriously. We discovered that this is the temperature at which baby wipes (despite the alcohol content) freeze into a solid brick! I pulled one out in the car for Julia and it shattered- crazy! When we finally hit double digits we were outside to play. Sledding with my dad is a long held tradition. Growing up in MD, whenever we had a big snow and were all at home, my dad, sister, and I headed out with our sleds to fly down the steep streets in our neighborhood. I will never forget those days. To a kid those roads seemed like mountains and we were fearless flyers on our red plastic sleds :) We all still love it and our passing on the tradition. The kids love it and were going by themselves by the second run.
The top layer on the snow was solid ice and Julia didn't weigh enough to make a dent, so when she wasn't on the sled she was standing in her spot requesting ice to eat....
Happy smiles....
We played a wild game of ice soccer.....
I can still hear their happy squeals all the way down......
Carter and Daddy 'snowboarding'......
With Carter around you know there are lots of sports (despite the snow), after soccer, it was time for baseball....
We loved having a white Christmas, what a treat!!!

1 comment:

Ami said...

Just reading back through some older posts... I'd seen Phillies shirts on your son in some pics, so assumed there was a PA connection somewhere. When I clicked on the PA tag, I found that you have family living very near to me. I'm in Easton. :) But, not being a born and raised PA woman, I can say that I absolutely agree with your observations of PA drivers, especially in the Lehigh Valley! Praying for all of you!