Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday, Monday

Julia continued to feel better last night after a rough afternoon.  She started croupy coughing right before bed.  Nurse Jo hooked up a cool mist contraption for her and she was off to dreamland.  She slept all night and didn't cough once.  

She has remained fever-free since yesterday.  I was able to finally get some sleep, too.  Unfortunately this crazy weather is wreaking havoc on my sinuses and I've been dealing with a migraine.  We got some good sleep this morning, though and she woke up ready to eat.

After breakfast, she started back with the coughing and crying- complaining she just felt bad.  And then she threw up all over us both.  Yuck.  I got her all cleaned up and the bed changed.  We gave her some zofran and she seems okay now.  Shortly after that Dr. McLean came by.  He said they had planned to send her home tonight, but the vomiting just bought her another day.  They suspect it's a side effect from the tamiflu.  Her seasonal tests were negative and would should get H1N1 back by tomorrow and then we could stop that drug.   They are still leaning toward croup/parainfluenza.

So we're back to resting and recovering again.  Her appetite is coming back and we are working on finding things she wants to eat.  Unfortunately it's not quite as easy as at home where I can just go into the kitchen.  here it means going down to the cafeteria and buying choices.  We've been pretty successful so far, so I'm off to get 4 more rolls :)  I always felt a special compassion for the kids that were so comfortable in the hospital their parents could leave them for short periods and they were fine.  I never thought I'd have one of those kids, but I'm thankful she feels so at home here.

And a side note to the two med students in the elevator debating if they felt sick enough to consider missing their rounds- YES!!! It took everything in me not to say, 'Please go home!' I guess the up side is every person in the hospital has to wear gown, gloves, and mask at all times so hopefully their germs aren't spreading far.  

Carter is having fun playing with some friends today and Mimi and Grandpa are on their way to visit.  He is over the moon excited and looking forward to a fun week.

 

2 comments:

Tricia said...

In your shoes, I would definitely say something to someone about the students behavior, without mentioning their names or anything, because the students need to be taught.

I am glad you guys got some sleep last night. I hope tonight goes well, too. I am praying for you all. God bless.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for you! Hope that Julia improves quickly and you can both return home soon! Praying for God's healing and strength!

Carol