After the wedding in PA, we headed back to DC for a break before Grandpa's retirement. I cannot believe this is our last trip while they live up here. It has been such a privilege to be a part of the Marine Barracks family and we have loved our experiences in DC. We hope to make the most of our last stay. Sadly we cannot venture out much and have to be very careful with Julia while we're here. Fortunately the Barracks offer us a secluded home with minimal contact. It gave her a free place to roam...

The weather has been a true blessing. We're always commenting that we wish spring weather would hang around in the summer and this year they actually did! The two weeks we were on the road the temperatures stayed in the 70s and 80s and humidity was nonexistent- wow!- and it's July!! We spent a lot of time outside enjoying simple things like walks, rocks, puzzles.....

and of course sports! football...

baseball (yes, Julia can hit a pitched ball already!).....

I love that the kids had time with their great-grandparents. Carter spent many hours in the bleachers with Grampa K watching parade rehearsals, retirement practice, and evening colors...

Hugs from Mammy...

We wanted to get out at least once. I decided on the National Zoo because I could keep Julia in the stroller and she wouldn't be tempted to touch anything. It turned out to be a beautiful day and the zoo wasn't too busy.

We found the tiger enjoying an afternoon swim. I didn't know they liked water. It was actually funny to watch because he alternated trying to keep each of his front paws out of the water. Then he gave up, went for a stroll, and had a long cold drink...

Julia loved these sunflowers on the street. She stopped and asked me to take her picture while she danced with them :) I love city living!!

The neighbors, let us borrow their John Deere Gator. Here's Anderson checking out the dump bed...

They loved tooling around the Barracks...

Daddy rarely gets a chance to explore with us, so we took advantage of a free afternoon while Julia slept to take Carter out, just the three of us...

We had fun on the metro, the Mall, and the Natural History Museum...

I'm going to miss this city so much. I love walking the streets, taking it all in. Every block offers something totally new and exciting...

On Saturday morning we took one last trip to Eastern Market. It is such an inspiring place. I love being surrounded by so many artistic and talented people. It makes you want to whip out an art set :)

The kids were fascinated by the old-fashioned cash register one of the merchants uses. All the keys are labeled with amounts corresponding to the popup tabs inside the top. It was fun to watch...

I love the rainbow brownstones that make up the Hill. This place is such a family-friendly and growing community.

On the way home we stopped by the local park (next to the 395 exit ramp!). It was almost empty (fortunately). There was no one in the preschool area, so I set to disinfecting and let the kids play. Yes, I am one of those crazy people you see in public cleaning everything their child touches. Now I totally understand why.


Grandpa really enjoyed his first full day of retirement. He started with a round of golf, then a nap, some time with his grandchildren, playing games...

a fun family happy hour, and a delicious meal of ribs, corn, fries, and smores- mmmm :)


It was a wonderful week and we are so sad to see it end. These will be memories to last a lifetime. We are so grateful for our days in DC and our time at the Marine Barracks '
The Oldest Post of the Corps'. We are so proud of what it represents and honors- the history of the Corps, the service to our country, the legacy of honor, and the Marines serving all over the world today.
No comments:
Post a Comment