- In following some other Wilms' patients it has really hit home with me how incredibly blessed we are to know that Julia's tumor had anaplasia (the aggressive nasty cells). When the tumor is removed and sent to pathology, they remove microscopically thin slices of it to analyze under the microscope. We are seriously talking about needles in a haystack here. We were also blessed that one of the best Wilms' pathologists in the world is at Brenners and reviewed Julia's tumor. In early stage tumors, anaplasia is not always found becuase we are talking about microscopic cells within a larger tumor. Pathologists do not look at every layer that would be utterly impossible. But in Julia's case it was found. The latest NTWTS (Wilms tumor study group) research reinforces the belief that most cases of cancer recurrence where anaplasia cases that were not found and were therefore treated as favorable. The cases of recurrences in the liver, kidney, or lungs are usually attributed to anaplasia cells that were never discovered. I can honestly say praise God, that Julia is receiving stronger, more aggressive chemo and radiation. Thank you!
- Again we are SO thankful that Julia's tumor was found so early. I don't think it will ever cease to amaze me how God's hand was at work. After one UTI they wanted to run tests and I hesitated, when the UTI persisited I reluctantly conceded; deciding God wanted it to be and it was that day we found this tumor. As rare as it is for her to be one of 20 kids in the world diagnosed with this form, it is even more rare to find it so early. It just doesn't happen, because there are no signs. We just happened to look. Thank you God for being in the details every step of the way. You gave her to us and it is so apparent that You continue to carry her in Your hands daily.
- In am so thankful to be at Brenners' Children's Hospital. I hear so many other stories of less than ideal situations and families who have to travel hundreds of miles for treatment. We have this 'cancer haven' right in our backyard. That means so much when we have spent 32 days there in the past 4 months.
- I am thankful for God's 'cancer grace'. It is so true when they, God gives you the grace you need to handle what you are given in life. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined our family would be dealing with this, but everyone is and in different ways. There have been many bumps and hurdles along the way, but God has proven faithful every time. It has become my comfort. I cannot prepare everyone for this, control the situations, and anticipate tomorrow- but I can trust that God is already there and will meet each of us in our own way.
- I can never say thank you enough for everyone out there who is following our lives and praying every step of the way. Prayer is our lifeline and I pray God blesses each one of you in avery special way.
*****************************************
We had a good weekend. We enjoyed Julia's higher counts and got outside to enjoy some of our summer. The weather was hot, hazy, and humid and we had no plans. Saturday we spent the morning at the pool cooling off...
Our bald little baseball lover!
1 comment:
Praising God with you for all of His blessings! We will continue to pray for strength for you all and protection and healing for Julia!
Love,
Bekah
Post a Comment