Thursday, October 1, 2009

We're Going to the Zoo Today...

The kids and I enjoyed a great day at the zoo this week.  It's one of the few places we can go without needing to touch things or be in close proximity to other people.  It turned out to be a perfect fall day and we saw so many of our favorite animals up close and personal.

The new giraffe feeding deck is really amazing.  Seeing these creatures from this vantage point was really exciting.
 
The kids love to climb on the rocks in the woods...
 
After lunch we enjoyed a ride on the carousel.  I still have a love affair with the lysol wipes and the ease at which I can sanitize things for her to touch.  I must have used at least 20 in the time we were out, not to mention all the hand sanitizer.


The kids loved playing the game in the African flowers exhibit.  I think we played four times.



It was such a treat to get out of the house.  We truly enjoyed seeing God's beautiful creation on display.   And by 'display', I mean literally.  Why does it always seem to be mating season when we go to the zoo?! The frogs, baboons, AND turtles.  It's always right up front so you can't miss it.  I tried a few times, in vain, to distract them or change the subject- no such luck.  Then I tried the one line, "They're mating.", in hopes to end it.  After all, it worked at the butterfly farm.  Nope.  The questions continued, nice and loud.  The parents of toddlers around me couldn't help but laugh out loud.  Don't worry, it will be your turn soon enough :)


Julia was feeling good.  Her appetite has been slowly increasing all week.  She still gets really tired.  We don't take her out very much and when we do she is protected in the jogging stroller.  After about an hour of being out she starts asking for us to please take her home.  It reminds me just how hard this is on her body.  She tries so hard to feel as good as possible every day, but I forget how little she is doing and how much time she spends at home.  We put her down for a nap when we got back home and she slept for four solid hours.  It was almost bedtime when she woke up from her nap.  Sweet JuJu.

3 comments:

KK said...

Glad you had fun, I love the zoo!

Debby Webb said...

Isn't is so great to live close to a nice zoo. I am looking forward to taking the kids sometime to see the new giraffe addition. Thanks for the heads up on the questions my kids might start to ask :)

Tricia said...

Somehow, I missed your posts all week. I am glad you were able to have several good days, that Julia is eating better. I will keep praying for her and the rest of you as you walk through this. Blessings.