Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday at the Hospital (Week 6)

We woke up early for chemo today. Julia was sad when I took off her bandaid and put on her emla, but handled the rest well. The clinic was a busy place today, but Julia happily played puzzles...
and then headed out to Arts for Life. Ms. Betsy was there with a big smile to greet her by name. It amazed me she remembered her after meeting her only once in April. Julia decorated a journal today and painted.
After about an hour it was her turn. Dr. McLean was there today and did her physical. He said everything looked good and her side effects are all predictable and have so far been manageable. He told us to expect all her hair to be gone by next week. It is continuing to fall out in pieces. There are little circle curls everywhere she goes, but she hasn't noticed yet.

Ms. Karen was excited to see her today and wish her an early happy birthday. Julia did good with the chemo. She sits up in my lap and watches the whole process. Today she helped Ms. Karen push the syringes and was eager to get to help. Then as a special treat for her birthday she got to pick a present from the birthday closet. She was so giddy and sweet. Here she is with her new My Little Pony and her favorite nurse. We are so blessed to have you Ms. Karen! i never dreamed this is where we would be as she turned 3, but God has so blessed this path He ordained for us.

On the way out she wanted to take a picture with her fishy friends, too :)
She's had a great afternoon, playing with her brother, having a picnic, learning to play Wii Outdoor Adventure (hysterical to watch! but she's getting good), playing in the backyard, and loading up on red peppers and raspberries. Her cheerful, joyful, resilience and innocence has been such a blessing to all of us. I'm so proud of you Punkin! i love you my sweet girl!

2 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so thankful for her joyful and sweet spirit. What a blessing. We are praying for you guys every day.
Love you,
Emily
Rom. 15:13

Debby Webb said...

I was holding Evan and walking around today at an hour when no one should be awake. I was thinking of "held" the song by Natalie Grant. This song took on new meaning to me. I have past thought of it as God holding us as a lover would hold his beloved when she is sad or hurting. Instead this morning the image of a loving mother unconditionally loving her child while her child is hurting entered my mind.

Evan started to cry so I picked him up. He was having some discomfort and kept squirming in my arms. I just held him and tried to comfort him even though I knew he had to work through the discomfort on his own. Even though he was in pain, he calmed down a lot. He kept squirming but he was Resting and trying to receive comfort from being "held".

I pray this for you. I pray that you will be able to rest in God's arms. I pray you will feel his love for you wash over you. I pray you can rest in his arms even though you are in pain.

I love you lots.

Debby