**********************
Julia had a good night Thursday night. Daddy and Carter came by to visit. Carter ran in the room and said, "Hellllooooo sweetie pie!!! Did they figure out what's wrong with you yet? How's my JuJu Punkin?"
He was so cute and sweet to his little sister. We were happy to see them, but even more excited they brought pizza, lemonade, and fruit- yummy!
Carter and I played some games while Daddy fed Julia and read her books. Then we played some HiHoCheery-O. Before they left Julia said, "I'm gonna have a popsicle and share it with my brother Carter!" After popsicles they left and it was bedtime.
Julia slept well all night and did not run a fever, so they let us go home this morning as promised. All her labs and cultures are still clear this morning. The only one not back is H1N1, but they didn't suspect that one anyway. So we are free to go. She will have her labs checked locally next Thursday and will hopefully stay out of the hospital for awhile. Unfortunately every fever for the next year is going to land us a stay at Camp Brenner. We were talking about germs with the residents this morning. I said we were heading back out into the land of bugs and viruses. She said we were better off because the hospital is full of them, too and they're much scarier- good point. Thanks for the perspective.
Julia was excited to be leaving and to get her port access out. She ate all her cheerios and popsicles this morning for breakfast and was in the stroller ready to go. One of the perks of isolation is you get to keep your stethoscope. So parting gift in hand we were out the door to go pick up Carter.
I can tell she's feeling better because she's talking more. With that she is also demanding more and whining more. I don't know which is better. Feverish JuJu is quiet, cuddly, likes books and TV. Post-chemo JuJu is hungry, moody, irritable, emotional, and demanding. I hate to see her sick and am so thankful God has healed her of this viral fever, but it is easier when she's not hungry because food is such a stumbling block for her these days. As soon as we got in the stroller she wanted food. An oreo held her over until we got out to the parking deck, but somehow the second one didn't taste good, like the first She didn't like any of the snacks in the car and asked for chicken nuggets, until we got there then she didn't want any. She then decided on a lollipop which we have at home, but apparently the 4 minute ride until we are home is just too much. She decided on noodles and was very excited until her brother walked in the room and looked at her wrong, which set her off and she refused to eat. I finally coaxed her into eating them and hoped this would hold us over until naptime. Then she wanted a banana, but ours are brown. She fell apart again. She keeps crying that she's hungry. We went through everything in the pantry and fridge and she decided on water in a Hello Kitty cup. Good, I can do that. So now she is watching TV (for the distraction) until she calms back down and then hopefully taking a nap.
Please pray for perseverence and peace for all of us. I know all of this comes from the chemo and it is just a part of the side effects. But the daily struggles are exhausting and three year olds are not known for being the most reasonable folks around. She already proclaimed twice since we got home, "Well fine! Then I'm just going to my room." I just smile and say, "Okay." (Though in my head I sometimes yell, "well fine!" But I promise not to say it :)The sprints in the cancer journey aren't so bad, its the marathon that does you in as a caregiver.
So now she's off to take a nap, and crying, "I'm hungry." I am not ashamed to say, I gave her a handful of chocolate chips because I know they still taste good and we all need her to take a nap now. (Don't worry, I brushed her teeth first.)
Update on Heather Miller: She got her pizza wish yesterday, too (it's a chemo-thing) and should be heading home today from her recent lung surgery. YAY! She'll start chemo again next Friday. She was interviewed by their local TV station and is looking great. You can find the link at the bottom of her webpage.
2 comments:
Congratulations! I am glad you are home again. I will pray that Julia gets sleep and gets her fill of food that tastes good to her. That is always such a struggle. and I am praying for your whole family because the marathon is long and tiring. I hope you get some rest, too. God bless.
So nice to see you and Carter at the soccer fields today.
I hope Julia has had a nice afternoon and a wonderful night's sleep!
Love,
MARY
Post a Comment