Friday, April 24, 2009

Finally Friday

We are so happy to have made it to Friday. This morning went very smoothly for Julia. She slept 10pm-10am and everything was running smoothly when we arrived at radiation oncology. Mason was already getting his radiation. I sat down to talk to his mom. She said the doctors decided they wanted a feeding tube put in. he's lost 4 lbs since Monday. His chemo is at the point where it gives him sores in his mouth that prevent him from eating or drinking. They typically put them in with kids awake, but his mom really wanted him sedated. Our favorite Dr.Sam, said no problem he would do it after his radiation was finished. he is truly an angel and cares so much about each one of these kids. I had the chance to pray with Mason's mom in the waiting room while Mason was getting his tube. I also gave her the tidbits I had learned from when Julia had hers in after surgery.

A short while later anesthesia showed up from surgery because they were supposed to sedate Julia today (Dr Sam had somewhere else to be.) He actually came out of the room and told them they could go because he would take care of Julia because he knew her best. I was floored. His heart is so huge. He even baked her cookies last night- himself! He's been promising her some all week and sure enough he brought them out for her. Each of the nurses gave her a gift, too. One got her a book and the other found her a curly-haired, blond doll like her. It is such an amazing gift from God to have this team caring for her.

Mason came out okay and his mom was having a really hard time. She is feeling so overwhelmed right now. She's in the hospital with him all weekend, alone. She doesn't seem to have friends she can call. She called her mom in SC to come help with her 7yr old and 1 yr old. She has never mentioned a husband. She did ask me today if I though my church friends would pray for Mason. So please, remember him in your prayers. He has 8 more months of chemo and 3 more weeks of daily radiation. She is very weary at this point and just wants to see him feeling better. Then Dr. Sam had to tell her he would not be the one sedating the kids next week and she just fell apart. I gave her a hug and said a prayer and she was wheeled back up to the oncology floor.

Julia came out of radiation fine. The first thing she asked was, 'where did my cookies go?' Unfortunately, once we got home she started throwing up. After 4 times I called the doctor and they had me give her more Zofran. That did the trick and we got her cleaned up. I was fortunate to talk them into leaving her port access in for her one last treatment Monday, but unfortunately it got thrown up on. Thankfully Dr. Tom had the supplies we needed to change it and got her cleaned up. She is now gauzed, taped, and Glad wrapped. Hopefully that will hold us until Monday.

I am feeling much better today and have eaten well all day. I am still running a low grade fever and keeping my distance from Julia as much as possible. Please pray for fast healing and protection for everyone else. Billy had this earlier in the week and sadly shared it with me.

Carter is doing well today. He was a huge help rinsing Julia's hair for us and assisting Dr. tom. He has such a heart for his sister and is happy to be able to do something to help.

To all my playgroup girls, I miss you all terribly and hate that I can't be with you at the Women's Retreat in Myrtle Beach. Have a wonderful time! Sing extra loud for me, take good notes, fellowship till the wee hours, soak up the sun (and the Son), and have lots of good laughs. I love you all!! We'll see you soon. We'll keep an eye on all the hubbies and their 'little charges' for you :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl. We missed you at the beach and our thoughts and prayers were with you often. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope to see you soon. Love, Heather