He is a bright kid and a typical oldest child. He likes to run the show and I'm sure will make a fabulous camp director/referee/CEO/umpire/commanding officer/coach (maybe all of the above) one day, but for know he needs to master being five. He's the type of kid who always needs to have the last word and we have had to really working on 'obedience first, discussion later'. We had made great progress and hopefully he will remember soon. We are also getting back into schoolwork. Julia was very excited, Carter not so much; but we've been here before and he comes around after the battle is over.
We made it through the day (it felt SO long, but we were both still alive at the end). I was talking to him in bed after we said his prayers. I said 'Carter, I really hope tomorrow goes a lot more smoothly. I don't like when I have to get upset and discipline you so much.' He said, 'I don't like it either. I don't know why you do it so much. I hear what you say, but in my head I hear myself wanting to do something else and I listen to that.' Bingo. That would be our problem.
Our church's focus this year is simple obedience. Isn't that truly what we all struggle with?! The Christian life is not difficult to understand. We often complicate it or convince ourselves we can't do it, but we can (with God's grace) if we just go back to the basics. How often to we struggle and strive to do things our way and wonder why its not working? I looked at Carter so many times yesterday and thought, 'Why don't you just obey? This would be so much easier!' How many millions of times a day do you think that very thought goes through God's head when he looks at us? He has given us the perfect plan for how to live in the Bible, clearly laid it out, put it in writing; yet we all have better ideas of how, when or why we should do things. I guess we all need to learn the same lesson. Simply obey first and discuss it later.
Well fortunately today was much better. We actually went somewhere....with people!!! Our playgroup took advantage of the cool spring weather and headed to the zoo! 8 moms, 17 kids, and a caravan of strollers. We were a sight! We had a great day though. Here's most of them...
The kids got to ride their favorite carousel after lunch. Julia has been talking about this for a long time...
On the way home I took Julia to the pediatrician because she's been holding her pee the past few days and having a lot of lower abdominal pain. They wanted to check her urine. Simple enough. We'll swing by on our way home. Well, it turns out the pain has gotten so bad, she doesn't want to go. We tried for 2 hours. Finally I told them to just catheterize her because we needed to get the results and get her treated. We got her ready and they couldn't get it because of her intense ability to hold it in. When they finally made contact, she exploded soaking two nurses, the wall, me, her, the table, and the floor. Fortunately the sweet, seasoned nurse got the cap off the tube with one hand and caught what she needed in mid-air, while getting a shower! Now that's talent! After everyone changed their clothes, they started her back on bactrim. We're guessing the infection was caused by Monday's VCUG cathing. We pray now for quick pain relief and complete healing before she starts her stronger chemo drug on Monday. And I thought we'd go all day without seeing a doctor for once, guess that's our goal for May :)
No comments:
Post a Comment