Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Heading Home

It is hard to really believe it, but we are heading home this afternoon. Julia has been cleared at this point in her surgical recovery. They prefer to wait to start chemo until 14 days from the surgery to allow full recovery for her body. During this time they will also receive a confirmation from the central board on Wilms' tumors. They will analyze the cells and make their treatment plan so we can ensure we are doing the best thing. The rest of her tumor that was removed, beside the anaplasia cells, has 'good chemistry'- meaning will respond treatment. They will plan to begin around the end of next week. Her treatments will be outpatient unless a reason arises otherwise. It is a mild level of chemo and is generally well tolerated. It is not known whether she will loose her hair or not- different for every child. They do not expect her to need radiation treatments. We will need to be careful of her exposure to other children. Her biggest threat is bacterial infections, not viruses- though they would be unpleasant. We can be as careful as possible, but many of these are the bacteria already on our bodies that become problematic when the immune system is suppressed. Whenever she gets a fever during this process she will be admitted for antibiotic treatment. That is about all we know at this point. They hold off on the full scale explanation of the specific drug treatment just in case the board has a different plan- they are the most up to date resource available to Wilms' patients.

Please pray for us as we prepare to head home today. It makes me anxious just thinking about it. This hospital has been a very safe place for all of us. I know she will be excited and that will make it easier. It will be such a blessing to see her brother, to take a bath, and to sleep in her own bed tonight.

10 comments:

Debby Webb said...

Amazing! I wouldn't have thought you all would come home already. Yay God! We will pray for a smooth transition and for you all to have wisdom as to what to do for her care and treatment. You have our continued prayer and support in any form you desire.

Unknown said...

Hi Amber,

I've been reading your blog every day. I'm praising God with your family all along the way. YEAH that you all get to go home today. I'll pray that in her excitement to be home, she won't over do it or be hard to hold back from doing too much. May you all continue to see GOD at work in & through all of this situation. we are in HIS hands, Lori Lewey

Kim said...

I'm sure that you guys can't wait to get home. Praise God for that. Julia will be so much more comfortable, I'm sure! Please know that you fill our prayers. Don't even hesitate to ask for help. We'll do anything to help!

Bethany said...

YAY for going home! I know you guys will take awesome care of her!

Shana said...

Praise the Lord! We love you all so much!! JuJu, we will eat McDonald's nuggets soon, sweet girl...and you can ride in my car, too :-)

Shana, Patrick, Snooks & Miers

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amber! I could hardly believe you were heading home with Miss Julia. So thrilled for you and Julia that you will get to sleep in your own bed tonight. I pray for peace in your heart as you settle her back at home.
Your blog has inspired me beyond words - I have read every entry. You are an awesome Mom and it is so easy to see God in your life and the life of your family. You inspire me.
My prayers continue to be with you and Julia. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. My offer still stands to take Carter to gymnastics.
Much love,
Mary Justice

Erin said...

Prayers for peace and comfort as you head home...that you would be released of any anxiety and it would be replaced with an unexplainable peace.

Debby Webb said...

I love you Julia! I'm glad you're feeling better. - Ginny Webb

Jeni said...

So glad you are able to go back home, creating whatever the new "normal" is. We keep you in our prayers and in our hearts!

The Moodies said...

We love you JuJu Punkin! So glad that God is in control of each step of your care. It was so good to see you up and around today. We'll keep praying for peace and comfort and continued healing.