******************************
Last night was the season opener of the NFL football season and the beginning of an exciting season of fall sports. As the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers took to the field, you probably didn't notice that one of their biggest fans was in the front row, 11 year old Heather Miller.Last October, Heather was diagnosed with Ewings sarcoma, found on several of her ribs. She has endured grueling surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation. This week was her last chemo and end of treatment scans. A time to celebrate and look forward.
(Polamalu and Heather- fast friends)
They found a new mass on her lung.
''There is no remission with this type of cancer,'' Wendy Miller (Heather's mom) said. ''Instead, there's what's called a five-year plan. If there's no reoccurrence in five years after visits and scans, she'll be labeled 'disease-free.' It's definitely a marathon, not a sprint.''
The shock and pain is still so fresh. She is now facing surgery to fully investigate the situation before a new treatment plan is made. She was surprised with tickets on the Today show to see her favorite team play the night before her surgery. She will be in surgery Friday (today), September 11th. Please take a minute to pray for Heather today- her surgery, recovery, new diagnosis, treatment, healing, and family.
You can watch her story here.
And at the end she reminds us F.R.O.G.......Fully Rely On God. And she truly does. Here's a story in their local paper.
The Steelers won last night- in overtime- and you will too, Heather. I hate that your battle had to go into overtime, too.

1 comment:
Dear Amber,
Hello Amber. This post was so heartbreaking, yet beautiful. I loved Heather's video and pictures. I have had 4 friends (2 from our ward) who had Ewing's Sarcoma, and Vinny (my son) had Rhabdomyosarcoma last year, which is the same sarcoma, but in the soft tissues instead of the bones..... We have been through it last year.
I am really writing though because I have an e-mail that I was supposed to send to all "Honored Children" for our St. Baldrick's event tomorrow... You are the only one I did not have a direct e-mail address to, so I am asking Jane to forward it to you. Unless, you get this tonight and can e-mail me at sdigerolamo@gmail.com. Just touching base about tomorrow in W-S. I do hope to meet you tomorrow! I will be at the Honored Kids table where you check in... and my son Vinny (from Camp Brenner) will also be there! If for some reason you can not come tomorrow, I hope to see you at the hospital on Monday... We come in at 8:30 to clinic for CBC and port flush. Keep in touch!
Love,
Sarah www.caringbridge.org/visit/vinnydigerolamo
Post a Comment